The mission of Richland Restoration League, Inc is to restore historic Old Richland Church, preserve it in its original state and interpret its cultural, educational and spiritual influence in the community. Richland Restoration League Inc. recognizes Old Richland Church’s importance to the community in the one hundred years that it was an active church. New uses and activities, not inconsistent with its former status, are necessary to the continued vitality of this unique asset. To that end the League is committed to develop uses and programs that exemplify these values.
FOUNDERS AND EARLY LEAGUE MEMBERS & SUPPORTERS
On July 2, 1948 the Richland Restoration League, Inc., was chartered under the State of Georgia, Twiggs County. Names of the petitioners follow: Miss Sara Faulk, Mary Faulk Harrison, Irene Wimberly Gleeson, A. V. White, Mrs. A. V. White, Sr., John Ball Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution by (Mrs. C. G.) Julia P. Kitchens, Regent, F. B. Asbell, Hallie Wimberly Faulk, E. J. Wimberly, Jas. D. Shannon, Ellen Huff Carswell, Norwood Waterhouse, Mark W. Fitzpatrick, Elizabeth Pierce, Ken Pierce, Claude Fitzpatrick Hendricks, B. K. Richardson, Clara Wimberly Pope, Isoline Wimberly Robbins, Lucile A. Fitzpatrick, Irvin Fitzpatrick, R.A. Harrison, Mercer Burns, C.R. Faulk, Jr., Laura W. Faulk, Jane L. Duross Fitzpatrick, Rebecca Slappey Whitehurst, Mrs. H. Durham Faulk, Ellen Faulk Califf, Alice Lowery Wimberly, Marcia Griffin Faulk, Louise Ivey Whitehurst, Margaret V. Larsen and Fannie M. Vaughn. Attorneys for the petitioners were H. A. Harrison and Jas. D. Shannon.
The first League officers Were: President – Mrs. Mary Faulk Harrison, 1st Vice President – Mrs. Irene Wimberly Gleeson, 2nd Vice President – Mrs. Clara W. Pope, Treasurer – Miss Sara Faulk, Secretary- Mrs. H. Durham Faulk
Regular services at Richland Baptist Church were discontinued in 1911 and the old building lay in a state of disrepair for 37 years, until restoration was begun by the League in 1948.
The publication, Historical Collections of Richland Baptist Church, was published by the Richland Restoration League, Inc. in 1949. The proceeds from the sale of this book along with individual contributions were used for the restoration of the church. The names of League members and others who made donations are listed in that publication.
The John Ball Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, erected a Marker at Richland Baptist Church. Open house and ceremonies for unveiling this marker were held on September l2, 1954.
Homecoming Day services are held each year when interested members and friends from far and near gather and enjoy the interesting programs, with dinner served under the beautiful trees on the church grounds.
William Thomas Faulk, Secretary- Treasurer of the League
Source: History of Twiggs County by J Lanette O’Neal Faulk (Mrs Hugh Lawson) and Billy Walker Jones, Published by Major General John Twiggs Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Jeffersonville, GA
Richland Restoration League, Inc is a registered 501c(3) non-for-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent of the law.